National Service Scheme (NSS)
Important Information about NSS :
- Meaning of N.S.S.
National Service Scheme
- Nature of N.S.S.
Social Service a scheme for students sponsored by Ministry of youth • Affairs & Sports, Government of India for the under-graduate students/ P.G./Jr. College.
- Birth of N.S.S.
September 1969 during Gandhi Centenary Year and during Fourth Five Year Plan during 1969-74. of nation
- Motto of N.S.S.
Not Me, But You.
- Goal of N.S.S.
Education through Community Service and Community Service through Education.
- N.S.S. Volunteers
Under Graduate students, Boys and Girls. Now it has been extended to two level also.
- Obligation of N.S.S. Volunteers
To work for two continued years alongwith their studies, putting in 120 hours service each year and participating in one Special Camping Programme.
- Pride of N.S.S. Volunteers
N. S. S. Badge and N. S. S. Certificate which will stand volunteers in good stead in future career. five additional Marks will be given for the 240 honrs of NSS activity and One special camp at the final year.
- Principal Elements in N.S.S.
There are four Principal elements in the N. S. S. Programmes process THE STUDENTS, THE TEACHERS, THE COMMUNITY AND THE PROGRAMME.
- Programme of N.S.S.
Two Fold Programme : Regular activities - Special Camping. NSS Programme is flexible with no rigidity. Any useful programme in the light of the need of the community and the occasion can be taken up in consultation with the university.
- Aspects of N.S.S. Programme.
The NSS programme undertaken either under regular or special camping covers four aspects.
- Institutional Work : The students may be placed in selected welfare agencies outside the campus to work as volunteers;
- Institutional Projects : Improvement of campuses, construction of playfields.
- Rural Projects : Eradication of illiteracy, minor irrigation works, Agricultural operation, health, hygiene, sanitation, development of rural cooperatives, savings drives, construction of rural roads etc.(preferably by adopting village within the easy reach of college);
- Urban Project : Adult education, welfare of slum-dwellers, training in civil defence, setting up first-aid posts, hospital work environment project, health project.
The NSS units are free to take up any or all of these activities depending on the local needs and priorities and diverse interests and aptitudes of the students. These activities should aim at :
- making education more relevant to the present situation to meet the feit needs of the community and supplement the academic education of the university / college students by bringing them face to face with realities of the rural situation;
providing opportunities to students to play their role in planning and executing developing projects which would not only help in creating durable community assets in rural areas and urban slums but also result in the improvement of quality of life of the economically and socially weaker sections of the community.
encouraging students and non-students to work together alongwith the adults in rural areas and thereby develope a sense of social consciousness among them;
- developing qualities of leadership by discovering the latent potential among the campers, both students as well as local youth (Rural and Urban) with a view to involving some of them more intimately in the development projects and also to ensure proper maintenance of the assets created as a result of the camps;
- encouraging youths to participate enthusiastically in the process of national development and promote national integration, through corporate living and cooperative action.
- Present Target of N.S.S.
All over India 19 Lakhs and in all over Maharashtra 2 lakh 12 Thousand students enrolled in N.S.S.
- How to Join N.S.S.?
Contact the NSS Programme Officer of your College.
- After Enrollment in N.S.S.
College Programme Officer will guide you to carry on NSS activities. You will be oriented from time to time.
- Financial Encumber, on N.S.S. Volunteers
No encumber Volunteers do not have to spend any money for the work they undertake as part of N. S. S. Programme.
- Organization and Administration of N.S.S.
Three-tier system consisting of the Central, the State and the University I College level Advisory Committee. The college unit is the nucleus of N. S. S. operation.
- Financial Aspects of N.S.S.
The Central Government and the State Government meet the total expenditure in the ratio of 7:5 respectively.